Do you have some silver sitting in your sock drawer that you don’t know what to do with? You might be able to make a profit by selling old jewelry at an estate sale. A lot of people might not consider this, but I recommend that you look into the possibility. Here are some tips and tricks to help get you started.
What is Jewelry estate?
Many people are familiar with estate sales, the sale of things that are no longer useful or of value. However, most of these sales do not involve jewelry, which is potentially a great source of income for you. Jewelry estate is the sale of jewelry and other personal items (jewelry box, accessories, etc) in order to raise funds for an estate.
Significance of Jewelry estate:
Jewelry estate can be as important as the sale of other items in the home.
How to get started with a jewelry estate buyer?
1) Find out if there is an estate sale going on:
You will want to find out if someone close to you or a family member has died and will be having an estate sale. It could also be someone that you are friends with on Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, etc. If the person has passed away and the family is not comfortable selling their jewelry online, they might have them listed in your local paper or online.
2) Place a bid
The next step is to place a bid on the jewelry that you would like to purchase. Most people think that the highest bid will win. While this is sometimes true, it is actually the last person to make the bid that wins. Because of this, you should try and make your bid as late as possible without being too late. If you are worried about missing out on an item, it might be best to set up an alert on your phone which will notify you when someone has placed a bid on an item that interests you.
3) Arrange payment with seller
Once someone else has made their bid, there will be a grace period of 48 hours or so where you can place your final offer. Once this grace period has ended, you will want to give the seller your highest and best offer. Once your offer has been accepted, you will want to contact them and ask for their address, as well as instructions on how to send payment.
4) Send payment
Once you have talked with the seller and gotten all of their information, you can send a check or money order along with a copy of your receipt. You will want to use certified mail so that you can track the package and make sure that it arrives safely.
5) When the jewelry arrives
Typically when the jewelry arrives in good condition the Jewelry estate buyer should send a thank-you note to show appreciation for selling to them. They may wish for you to send photos of the jewelry in the package, so that you can see how well it was received. Do not feel obligated to do this, but most people do appreciate pictures of their items.
Recognition from family and friends:
The seller will likely receive more recognition from family and friends than they will receive from their own family members. If you try and get commission, you may want to tell them that you are not getting paid for your services. You should also make sure that they know that they can contact you at any time if they need help with anything regarding the sale.
– Do research on the value of silver before selling any jewelry. It’s always good to find out how much your item is worth before putting it up for sale so that if a buyer offers less than what it would take for you to buy it back, then that’s not a big deal, since there was no interest in buying your item anyway.
– Don’t sell everything at once. You don’t want people to find out that you’re trying to unload tons of old jewelry and then have them put in an offer for a few pieces. Find out what your item is worth and then put it up for sale on eBay or at a local estate sale, whichever works best.
– Make sure the items are in good condition. If you have pre-loved items, such as jewelry that’s been around for a long time, make sure they aren’t broken or damaged in any way so that if the buyer doesn’t want them they won’t be the cause of your loss.
Don’t let the idea of selling jewelry as an estate sale scare you off. There are many people who have made some pretty good money at these sales, so you may want to look into it if you’ve never done anything like this before. As with any other business opportunity, you can use the advice and information from this article to help get started.